NYSGA Accepts Over 300 Entries for 36th NYS Men's Mid-Amateur
JAMESVILLE, N.Y. – The New York State Golf Association (NYSGA) has accepted a total of 301 entries for the 36th New York State Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship at Tuscarora Golf Club in Marcellus, N.Y. The Championship will be held in Syracuse for the sixth time on September 27 – 29, 2019.
To be eligible, a player must be 25 years of age or older and have a Handicap Index of 10.4 or less. In addition, players must be a member of the NYSGA, defined as either (1) belonging to an NYSGA member club or (2) joining the NYSGA as a 2019 NYSGA eClub Member.
Among this year’s total are 46 players, including 6 past champions, and 7 other New York State titleholders, who are fully exempt into the championship.
Sectional qualifying, played over 18 holes, will be conducted at 10 sites around New York from Thursday, August 22nd to Thursday, September 26th at the following venues:August 22 – Fox Valley Club (Buffalo) - 39/13August 27 – Greystone CC (Rochester) - 24/8August 28 – Lakeshore (Syracuse) - 47/15August 30 – Yahnundasis GC (Utica) - 28/9September 5 – Rock Hill GC (Long Island) - 18/6September 7 – Malone GC (N. Country) - 11/4September 9 – Binghamton CC (Binghamton) - 23/8September 10 – Links at Union Vale (Hudson Valley) - 28/9September 12 – Town of Colonie GC (Albany) - 36/12September 26 – *Tuscarora GC (Syracuse) – TBD/TBD *Last Chance Qualifier
(##/## denotes the number of players competing for an allocated number of qualifying spots at each site)
No playoffs will be conducted during sectional qualifying. All players tied for the final allocated spot at a given qualifier, will advance into the championship.
There will also be a “last chance” qualifier on September 26 at the host club, Tuscarora Golf Club. The Thursday qualifier will be open to players who have not already attempted to qualify at a previous site. A limited number of spots will be allocated to this qualifier and will be announced later.
This will be the first time this championship will be hosted by Tuscarora Golf Club. The club has hosted three other NYSGA championships, including the 1991 and 2015 NYS Women’s Amateur Championship, and the 2003 NYS Boys’ & Girls’ Junior.
The last time the NYS Men’s Mid-Amateur was held in Syracuse was in 2013 when Jim Scorse of Churchville won it at Onondaga Golf & Country Club in Fayetteville.
Exempt Players who have accepted their entries the 2019 field (as of August 21st):
Nicklaus Ambrose, Chris Blyth, Jonathan Clark, Adam Condello, Brett Cooper, Kyle Downey, Luke Feehan, Thomas Fletcher, Dominic Formato, Jim Gifford, Darin Goldstein, Brandon Grzywacz, Billy Hanes, Kyle Harman, Jeffrey Hatten, Luke Hobika, Robert Hughes, Patrick Keegan, Kyle Kozlowski, Tim Lane, Clinton Lange, Tom Linehan, Jeff March, Jim Mason, David May, Mike May, Brad Monroe, Bill Moore, Nicholas Morreale, Michael Naton, Patrick Nealon, Jimmy Pizzutelli, Christopher Quilty, Wills Reardon, Kenneth Riter, Michael B. Rogers, Daniel Russo, Timothy Saur, Carl Schimenti, Jim Scorse, Chad Stoffer, James Tee, Bradford Tilley, Kevin Vandenberg, Louis Walsh, James Welch, Jeff Wolniewicz.
Exemption categories for the championship are as follows:
- Winners of the NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championship from the last 10 years.
- From the 2018 NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championship, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place.
- Winners of the NYS Men's Amateur Championship from the last 10 years.
- From the 2019 NYS Men's Amateur Championship, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place.
- Winners of the 2019 NYS Men's Amateur Four-Ball Championships.
- Winner of the 2019 NYS Men's Senior Amateur Championship.
- Most recent (as of September 27, 2019) winner or low amateur (*professional events) of the following regional championships:
- Players ranked in the top-2000 of the World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR).
- Host club exemptions
- Special exemptions as selected by the NYSGA.
- Apogee Investment Management Championship
- BDGA Buffalo District Individual Championship
- CRAGA Capital Region Amateur Championship
- CCR Invitational
- TCGA Court Jester Amateur Championship
- SDGA Gerry Ashe Memorial
- LIGA Long Island Individual Championship
- MGA Ike Championship
- MGA Met Amateur Championship
- MGA Met Open*
- NYS Open*
- RDGA Rochester District Individual Championship
- WGA Westchester Individual Championship
For more information, please visit the championship page on Golf Genius.