NYSGA Accepts 284 Entries for 35th NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championship
JAMESVILLE, N.Y. – The New York State Golf Association (NYSGA) has accepted a total of 284 entries for the 35th New York State Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship at Wanakah Country Club in Hamburg, N.Y. The Championship will be held in Buffalo for the sixth time on September 28 – 30, 2018.
To be eligible, a player must be 25 years of age or older and have a Handicap Index of 9.4 or less. In addition, players must be a member of the NYSGA, defined as either (1) belonging to an NYSGA member club or (2) joining the NYSGA as a 2018 NYSGA eClub Member.
Among this year’s total are 28 players, including 7 past champions, and 5 other New York State titleholders, who are fully exempt into the championship.
Sectional qualifying, played over 18 holes, will be conducted at 9 sites around New York from Monday, August 20th to Thursday, September 6th at the following venues:August 20 – Binghamton Country Club (Binghamton) - 19/7August 23 – Mendon Golf Club (Rochester) - 30/10August 28 – Fox Valley Club (Buffalo) - 85/24August 30 – Tuscarora Golf Club (Syracuse) - 27/9August 31 – Yahnundasis Golf Club (Utica) - 25/8September 4 – Rock Hill Golf & Country Club (Long Island) - 13/4 September 4 – Whiteface Club (N. Country) - 9/3September 6 – Eagle Crest Golf Club (Albany) - 35/12September 6 – West Hills Country Club (Mid Hudson) - 29/10*September 27 – Wanakah Country Club (Buffalo) - TBD/TBD* Denotes Last Chance Qualifier
No playoffs will be conducted during sectional qualifying. All players tied for the final allocated spot at a given qualifier, will advance into the championship.
There will also be a Thursday qualifier on September 27th at the host club, Wanakah Country Club. The Thursday qualifier will be open to players who have not already attempted to qualify at a previous site. A limited number of spots will be allocated to this qualifier and will be announced later.
This will be the first time the championship has been hosted at Wanakah Country Club. The club has hosted three other NYSGA championships, including the 1957 NYS Boys’ Junior & Sub-Junior Amateur Championships, the 1981 and 1999 NYS Men’s Amateur Championships.
The last time the NYS Men’s Mid-Amateur was held in Buffalo was in 2010 when Tim Hume of Cheektowaga won it at Crag Burn Golf Club in East Aurora.
Exempt Players who have accepted their entries the 2018 field (as of August 17th):
Colby Anderson, Michael Carrig, Adam Condello, Max Davis, Kyle Downey, Darin Goldstein, Billy Hanes, Ryan Hawkins, Tony Hejna, Luke Hobika, Lancelot Hope, Danny Irwin, Jacob Katz, Patrick Keegan, Doug Kleeschulte, Sean Lindstrom, Jamie Miller, Brad Monroe, Patric Nealon, Wills Reardon, Kenneth Riter, Timothy Saur, Jim Scorse, Tim Spitz, Kevin Vendenberg, Devlin Walsh, James Welch, Jeff Wolniewicz.
Exemption categories for the championship are as follows:
- Winners of the NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championshiop from the last 10 years.
- From the 2017 NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championship, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place.
- Winners of the NYS Men's Amateur Championship from the last 10 years.
- From the 2017 NYS Men's Amateur Championship, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place.
- Winners of the 2018 NYS Men's Amateur Four-Ball Championships.
- Winner of the 2018 NYS Men's Senior Amateur Championship.
- Most recent (as of September 28, 2018) winner or low amateur (*professional events) of the following regional championships:
- Players ranked in the top-2000 of the World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR).
- Host club exemptions
- Special exemptions as selected by the NYSGA.
- BDGA Buffalo District Individual Championship
- CRAGA Capital Region Amateur Championship
- CCR Invitiational
- TCGA Court Jester Amateur Championship
- SDGA Gerry Ashe Memorial
- LIGA Long Island Individual Championship
- MGA Ike Chapionship
- MGA Met Amateur Championship
- MGA Met Open*
- NYS Open*
- RDGA Rochester District Individual Championship
- WGA Westchester Individual Championship
For more information, please visit the championship page on Golf Genius.