In 1926 a group of eleven Loudonville residents decided to form a private club convenient to their homes which would include a golf course and tennis courts. They purchased the old Hartman Farm consisting of approximately 200 acres and began construction of the Clubhouse in 1926. Albany architect, J. Worthington Palmer used the central portion of George Washington’s home at Mount Vernon as a model for his design of the Clubhouse.
The 18-hole golf course was completed in 1927 and was designed by Devereux Emmet. Emmet has designed over 150 golf courses throughout the world. Some of his more notable golf courses include Congressional Country Club, Garden City Golf Club, Wee Burn Country Club and Leatherstocking.