The "Metropolitan Golf Links" was formed in 1915 with the purchase of 125 acres of Quaker Ridge property, on which John Duncan Dunn designed and built a nine-hole golf course. In 1916, the "Golf Links" was beset by financial problems, and a small group of businessmen formed "Quaker Ridge Golf Club" and purchased the existing property. Tillinghast was commissioned to redesign 7 holes and build 11 new ones. The new course opened in 1918.