Attica's 10th Hole & Golf Course's, originally known as Attica Golf Club, rich legacy began in the summer of 1931 on what was then the 125 acre Doty Farm, located on Bunnell Street in the Village of Attica. Harry Heit, who was the "Pro" at Irondequoit Country Club in Rochester and formerly at Silver Lake Country Club, designed and sponsored the enterprise of turning rough farm land into what is today a beautifully manicured private 9 hole golf facility. Before the course was even finished, 67 people had signed up for memberships. In 1932 the 9 hole course was ready for play and the Club was officially christened on July 23, 1932. There was a large barn and a house on the property. The Heits lived in the house and the lower part of the barn was used as a club house. All cooking was done in the house by the Heits and the dinner committees and was carried to the club house. Mrs. Heit served as the resident manager and Frank Commisso, former assistant pro at Irondequoit became the full time pro.
In 1935 the property was leased from the Heits by the club members. Nine of the members signed the lease making the deal possible. The lease was renewed in 1937, 1938 and again in 1939. In 1937 a constitution and by-laws were drawn up and Chauncey Kibbe was elected the first President.
The first Men's Club Champion was Jack Mathias in 1932 and the first Women's Club Champion was Helen Wahl in 1937. In 1941 the Women's Organization was formed, officers were elected and Ladies' Day began with pre-arranged programs and committees. The Scotch-Ball dinners started as well as other women's tournaments. The first Men's Invitational was held in 1962 and caddies, who were recruited from the village youth were in use through the 1960's.
In 1940 the first Golf Club Bonds were sold and the property was purchased by the members and the club was incorporated. At this time there were 70 members. In 1944 there were 89 members and a Family Membership cost $25.00, Out of Town Membership cost $23.00 and in 1945 the first Social Membership was issued at $6.75. In 1947 greens fees were $1.00.
In 1948, money was needed for improving the club house and course. A second series of Bonds were issued. After this, the barn was lowered and a club house with a small kitchen was built on the second floor. The old barn frame remains to this day. The house was eventually torn down to make room for parking. In 1950 the club house was ready for use, and in 1954 three wedding receptions were held there which were catered by the women members.
In 1961 the kitchen was enlarged. In 1974 it was necessary to enlarge the club house once again. Dinner parties were well attended and there just wasn't enough room. The last major renovation resulted in the porch being enclosed and made part of the main room. The main room was widened and the bar was extended in a semi-circle to accommodate more people. The front entrance was turned into a storage area and the main door was moved from the South to the East side of the building.
The ownership changed in January of 2020. The new owners bring 20+ years of experience in the golf industry. Attica's 10th Hole & Golf Course consists of 9 holes with 4 sets of tees. A peaceful country setting with rolling hills and an affordable season pass has been enhanced by the addition of trees, sand traps and water hazards over the years. Attica's 10th Hole & Golf Course is a member of the Buffalo District Golf Association (BDGA), the New York State Golf Association (NYSGA) and the United States Golf Association (USGA). The course has been rated by the NYSGA and abides by their regulations.